Why we love South Africa!
There are so many reasons to feel good about South Africa!
We are truly lucky to be able to live is such a special place.
Here is a list, in no particular order, of the reasons why South Africans (and visitors) love South Africa:
1. Sunshine! And a lot of it…you don’t find blue skies like this in Europe, or Canada, or New Zealand (okay, maybe in Oz – we’ll allow that…) The climate is rated as one of the best in the world. Even winter has sunshine!
2. Bushveld – big 5 country, a vast expanse of acacia trees, dry sand, the occasional water hole, the sighting of elephant, buffalo, wildebeest, zebra, lion…Three of the five fastest land animals live in South Africa - the cheetah (63 miles per hour), the wildebeest and the lion. The wildlife - Unrivalled. Kruger National Park supports the greatest variety of wildlife species on the African continent.
3. Highveld thunderstorms – nothing like that rolling, slate-grey approach, and the smell of the earth after rain
4. Bunny chows – Durban‘s famous hollowed out half loaves stuffed with curry is half the reason people return home
5. We don’t have a nuclear weapons program – we might have a nuclear power station or two, but we’re the only nation to voluntarily dismantle our nuclear weapons
6. Table Mountain – one of the most recognisable icons, and one of the oldest mountains in the world. Table Mountain in Cape Town is one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature. Table Mountain alone has over 1,500 species of plants, more than the entire United Kingdom.
7. Incredible landscapes – the Drakensberg, the Tsitsikamma, the Karoo, the Panorama Route, and innumerable mountain passes
8. Shosholoza – the one song we all love to get wrong
9. Our inventions - The Kreepy Krauly, CT/CAT Scan, first Heart Transplant, APS Therapy, Smartlock Safety syringe, Pratley’s Putty, Thin Solar Cells making solar panels cheaper, Cybertracker Retinal Cryoprobe, Speed Gun for cricket, Q20, Hippo Water Roller, Tellurometer, Computerised Ticketing ie Computicket, Cats-eyes and Dolosse blocks – we invented them all
10. Open roads and free parking (most of the time)
11. Outdoorsy - In sunny South Africa, our great weather invites you to enjoy the outdoors, play golf year-round, cycle, run, diving, swimming, take advantage of the nearly 3000km coastline.